Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Steve Irwin

I watched his memorial service last night and of course, cried my eyes out. I have felt sad ever since.

I remember the first time I saw him. I said, "This guy is insane!" but he made me laugh and I thought that was great. Over time I really came to love him because he not only loved the animals so passionately but you could tell he loved people the same way. He was never rude or unkind to anyone. He was genuinely a friend to everyone he met. Do you realize how rare that is in a human being? He was a pure soul.

He died on my birthday. I spent the whole day feeling slightly numb. Pretty remarkable for a zookeeper that I never met that lived on the other side of the world. His impact on the world is amazing. I don't think any other animal rights/conservationist has ever had that impact. His Dad said something last night that touched me deeply. He said, "Don't grieve for Steve. He's at peace. But I do want you to grieve for the animals because they lost a friend." You just KNOW that is true. It almost seems as the animals themselves are crying.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?