Monday, September 11, 2006

So today is September 11th

I hadn't planned on making any kind of comment about the terrorist attack today. Frankly, I think there's been TOO much of it on the news the last several days. It's not that I don't think the day should be remembered. I just don't think you have to bash people over the head to make them do so. It was such a shocking, horrific day that I don't think any adult will ever forget it. I can't believe it's already been 5 years. That also means it's almost 5 years since my dogs Geri and Whiskers were killed (which took place 3 weeks after 9-11). Is it horrible of me that that makes me sadder? They were my babies and I loved them dearly - rarely went anywhere without them. Each had their own wonderful quirks. As I sit here now, they smile down at me from pictured urns on top of my computer armoire. I just couldn't bear to bury them. My father's ashes also resides there. We didn't have the money to bury him. But I don't mind cremation. Actually it is my wish to be cremated after I die. I don't want a grave that people feel obligated to maintain. And I certainly don't want one that just becomes overgrown with weeds after the loved ones who actually knew me are gone. But I've been thinking a lot lately about the cremation ashes. What's going to happen to my dad's ashes when I'm gone? No one else is going to have that sentimental attachment to it that I do. Will he just be "thrown away"? Hmm...I guess I better make a provision for that in my will. In my own will - which I have written along with a living will - I have stated that I want my family to do whatever makes them happy. If that means scattering my ashes to the 4 winds so be it. After all, I won't be the one unhappy - it will be the ones left behind who grieve. (BTW, if you don't have a will and a living will - GET ONE. Very important.)

So, today is September 11th. What a date.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?