Monday, September 18, 2006

A New Beginning

I'm making a lifestyle change. There I said it. Now that I have vocalized it that means it's real, right? I guess I better stick to it now.

I'm overweight. Very overweight and I feel crappy. Not all the time. But sometimes. And I don't want to run into people from my past because I don't want them to know how much weight I've gained. I shouldn't care. But I do. But what concerns me more is how sluggish I feel. Health complications. Lowered sex drive. All those things lead back to weight issues.

Am I an overeater by addiction? I'm not sure. I do eat to comfort but I don't think I do it consciously. I eat from boredom, that's for sure. But I just love junk. The sweeter the better in most cases. And fried foods? Most are splendid.

But I've recently moved to a new city. Three weeks ago to be exact. And I have decided to make this moderately significant moment in my life monumental. I will take this opportunity to make a new beginning - a lifestyle change. For the 3 weeks I've been here, I've been getting up every morning with my husband and walking/jogging for at least 30 minutes (sometimes an hour). We've been doing this at least 5 times a week. I can't jog the whole time yet. So we briskly walk then jog a bit, walk, jog, etc... Some days I'm ready to go, others I have to drag myself out of bed but for the most part I've noticed a great change in myself. I truly do feel more alert during the day. Not to mention that I feel good emotionally because I know I did it.

I've been trying to eat a bit better too. I'm trying to cut out fried foods (skip the french fries at McDonalds) and eat at least 1 fresh item a day be it a grapefruit or some broccoli. I do however, refuse to give up my Diet Mt. Dews. A woman must have some vice! For sweets, I've been making sure to buy the "light" varieties of my favorite ice creams and such. But you know what I've found? The better I eat - the less I want the sweets! It's amazing. I feel like I've just discovered an unknown secret.

Best of all, yesterday I grudgingly pulled a pair of jeans out of my drawer. I say grudgingly because this is my "back up" pair. It's the pair of jeans that I wear only when all the others are dirty. These jeans are usually a bit tight and after squeezing into them I do a few pleas to make them loosen up. However, yesterday I slipped them on with ease. And while they were by no means loose on me, they were quite comfortable and easy to snap close. I stood and looked at myself in the mirror.

The exercising isn't the only change I'm making in my lifestyle. I've always dedicated myself to being a cleaner person (for instance, making a routine of cleaning my car so my allergies won't suffer from all the dog dander). Hubby & I have agreed to devote time every day also to our business we hope to open and to allowing time for our home renovation on the weekends (he has agreed to work on his organization and time management skills to help us achieve these goals). And more.

I'm not sure how all of this will be affected once I find a job (a task that has been unsuccessful so far). I might not be able to exercise in the morning due to lack of time but vow to still keep it in my day.

All in all. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. But other than worrying over finding a job, pretty darn good. Get prepared to meet the new Crystal.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?