Monday, June 19, 2006

Jekyll Island pictures

Get ready. I have left photos rather large to show detail.

Jekyll Island Club where the millionaries played during the early part of the 1900's. Note the croquet court on the front lawn.

[image]

The Rockefeller's winter home sits across from the Island Club and has the largest windows I have ever seen. Compare to my cousin sitting in front of one.
[image]

The Sans Souci sits across from the Island Club as well. It was the first condominiums in the U.S. It is now a hotel.
[image]

[image]

[image]

various trees and groves w/ a Golden Isles/Brunwick native - Spanish Moss
[image]

[image]

marsh view:
[image]

Crane Cottage

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

can't remember the name of this cottage. they've been renovating it for 15 years and from the peeks I took inside - it still has a long way to go. note the platform on the staircase for people to step out of their carriages.
[image]

[image]

miscellaneous building. i just liked this doorway
[image]

remains from a burned cottage had these GORGEOUS lions flanking the staircase. i bet these would go for a fortune at an auction.

[image]

Plantation Oak. The largest and most beautiful of oaks on Jekyll Island. The plague is rather old but it states that it has a 7'3" diameter, 128' limb to limb, 23' girth, 112' high, estimated 350 years old. I wish I had a wide angle lens to get the entire tree. Many of the lower limbs go into the ground and back out again. It's really quite breathtaking.
[image]

[image]

I also visited my grandmother's grave. While in the cemetary I took a picture of a family plot I liked that was dated around 1915.
[image]

and an angel that I just fell in love with so I had to take tons.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

and my favorite:
[image]

Looky Looky at my new toys:





Comments:
What a cool pictures Crystal!!
 
I went to Jekyll Island when I was like 15 and Loved it! You took some wonderful photos!!!

I love that "unless you count Dawn" sticker!!!
 
Very nice pictures- So good!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?