Monday, June 13, 2005

Crystal The Critic

I watched Big Fish last night and loved it. I've never been completely bowled over by a Tim Burton film but this one got me. Of course, it had one of the sexiest men on the planet in it but besides that the story was just beautiful. It really moved me. It's a father/child story which I'm a bit of a mush for anyway having lost my dad already. It was romantic. It was fun. It was endearing. The writing was most excellent and I was struck by a line in it: A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him. And in that way, he becomes immortal. This was true in the literal sense for the movie. But it still applies to my own life. I can think of stories my father told me and it helps me to remember him with a smile. And it helps me to share my love for him with others.

Comments:
Nicely said Crystal! My mother and father are both gone, and the quote you picked happened to be my favourite in the movie as well. What did you think of Alison Lohman in it? Isn't she wonderful? I must admit, the movie isn't' what I expected it to be, but since my father was a "Big Fish" himself, I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the tear-jerking ending.
 
I thought she was nice. She was well cast as a young Jessica Lange. I didn't pick up on any chemistry between her & Ewan though. My father had a tumultuous relationship with his children and he died from a cocoaine-induced stroke at the young age of 48 (1 year ago) so things will strong daddy themes REALLY get to me. Your Dad told you stories? I bet that was way cool. My Dad's stories mostly consisted of him torturing his younger brothers (there were 4 of them) and they were pretty funny.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?